What exactly is a Paraprofessional?
Paraprofessionals are K-12 school employees who provide one-on-one tutoring for students, assist with classroom management (e.g., organizing instructional or other materials), provide instructional assistance in a computer laboratory, conduct parental involvement activities, provide support in a library or media center, act as a translator, or provide instructional support services under the direct supervision of a teacher.
Federal legislation requires paraprofessionals that are serving in an instructional capacity to meet the definition of Highly Qualified.
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System is proud to be a participating test center for the ParaPro Assessment, a nationally required proficiency examination for Paraprofessionals.
- Participants must contact the Office of Support Programs (225-922-5609 or 225-922-5672) to attain registration availability.
- After receiving availability status:
- A non-refundable $55.00 money order must be mailed or delivered to the Office of Human Resources:
- 1050 S. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- The money order is made payable to- East Baton Rouge Parish School System.
- If mailing in the payment, please include your name, requested test date, and contact information.
Apply to become a Paraprofessional
- Click HERE to begin or revisit your application for EBRPSS.
- You will need the following information to complete the application:
- Colleges & Universities attended, graduation date, degree earned and major
- To/From dates of paraprofessional and non-paraprofessional experience, name of organization, supervisor’s name, address & phone number.
- Two professional references including name, title, organization, work phone, home phone and address if available
- Once you have submitted the application you will receive the message “Your application has been successfully submitted to East Baton Rouge Parish School System.”
- Once you have completed the online application, please contact Eliza Jacques @225-922-5658 to submit the following documentation:
- College Transcripts
- Praxis Paraprofessional Scores
- A copy of your degree
- Upon receipt of the required documents and verification of your highly qualified status, you will be considered for a paraprofessional position for the current or upcoming semester.
Thank you for your interest in the East Baton Rouge Parish School System.