EXCEPTIONAL STUDENT SERVICES (ESS)“Special education is not a place where children go for services, but services children receive in accordance with their Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) in the least restrictive environment.”
In accordance with the mission of the East Baton Rouge Parish School System, the Exceptional Student Services Department provides vision, leadership, and expertise to schools and parents regarding the implementation of curricular and instructional initiatives that support the achievement of students with disabilities in compliance with state and federal mandates. It is the commitment of this department that students with disabilities have access to a full continuum of services while being educated with nondisabled peers to the maximum extent possible.
The Office of Exceptional Student Services seeks to improve the overall performance of students with disabilities and assist in narrowing the achievement gap by ensuring equal access to the curriculum and differentiated instruction in the least restrictive environment (LRE).
In keeping with the East Baton Rouge Parish School System’s goal to provide quality education for all students in all settings, regular assessments are made to determine the quality of instructional programs as well as the appropriateness of an individual’s placement .
PBIS IN EBR SCHOOLS GREAT EXPECTATIONS LEAD TO GREAT OUTCOMES
What is School Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS)?
• PBIS is a framework for establishing the social culture and behavioral supports needed for a school to be an effective learning environment for all students
Features of School-wide Positive Behavior Support
• Establish regular, predictable, positive learning and teaching environments.
• Build and maintain preventative environments
• Train adults and students to serve as positive models.
• Create systems for providing regular positive feedback.
• Improve social competence. Develop environments that support academic success.
Implementing PBIS involves staff, students, and parents implementing their roles with fidelity
Is your school effectively problem solving behavior issues?
• Does your school analyze discipline data on a regular basis?
• How do you know if the analyses are effective?
• Be careful- the data you analyze is only as good as what gets put into the data system.
• Good looking data may not be an indication of what is really happening in your school